Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sleepers: PJs or more?

Hillary and I had a debate recently. Can baby sleepers (the kind with feet) be worn outside of the house appropriately?

I said it was a debate - not a deep philosophical discussion.

I personally think that sleepers are the best thing in the world, especially the zip-up kind. The button up can be quite cumbersome, especially at 3 a.m. but nonetheless, they are nice. Peanut wears them mostly to bed but sometimes, she leaves the house in a sleeper.

(Insert Hillary's stern look of disapproval here)

Hillary thinks that any parent who takes their child out in footed-PJs should be reported to children's protective services because they are obviously neglectful. OK, maybe I'm overstating it but when Hillary has an opinion, she has an opinion. (It's part of her charm). She does allow some exceptions to the rule. Here's what she has to say about it "The Boy, for example, traveled in jammies -- feetless ones, at that, but with socks. Practicality sometimes requires public jammie-use, however, a fully-dressed baby is preferable and, I think, cuter. Also, would you want to be in public in your jammies? Poor babies."

Peanut has a freakish amount of sleepers in all different sizes. We generally know it is time to change to the next size when she can't straighten her legs anymore and her sleeves are half-way between her wrists and her elbows, which shows off the lovely roll on her wrist that looks like I put rubber bands around them.

I love how she looks in them. I couldn't wait for it to get cool enough so that I could start dressing her in them. She just looks like the quintessential baby in her little sleepers. They are perfect in the winter. I don't have to worry about socks. The are especially helpful in our household since my husband is the one to get Peanut ready and out the door in the morning. It's one piece with a plain onsie underneath - no need to coordinate.

So what do you think? Are footed sleepers appropriate outfits or does it look like I'm too lazy to actually dress my child?

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I think a sleeper is fine if Peanut is making a quick trip to the grocery store, but she may want to change into something less casual if she's going to be out-and-about all day. You never know who she'll run into.

I'm loving the blog! I ran across the link on Facebook. I'm sending the link to Brian but can't guarantee he'll read it--he doesn't even read my blog. :)

-Nikki