Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Tank"

The Boy said thank you for the first time this morning.

Granted, it came out, "Tank," around a mouthful of toast he had begged off his daddyman's plate, but still. This is cause for celebration. This is the culmination of months of my saying after giving him anything or watching anyone else give him anything, "Say thank you!" Or sometimes simply, "Thank you!" in my most chipper voice, my sorority girl voice. I feel like I have accomplished something.

My child might be dirty and stinky sometimes. He might throw a tantrum every now and again. He might decide, much to my displeasure, that 5 a.m. is the right time to get up.

But, by god, he says please and thank you. That's something, right?

3 comments:

Becki said...

Thank you for not raising a brat.

The same can not be said about the family I sat next to on the train home yesterday. It was the absolute worst excuse for parenting I've EVER seen (and the best case for birth control).

It was horrifying.

k said...

Oh, the begging of the food--it's sometimes like living with a small hyena.

Yea! for kids with manners!

Kate said...

Oh yay!

I am so jealous! We encourage "please" and "thank you" but so far he just repeats what we say (if he is so moved, of course :) ). I look forward to the day he says it on his own -- I can dream!