Friday, July 10, 2009

And you wonder where I get it from

When I was in fourth grade, I had to do a book report and presentation on Sojourner Truth. I did a poster with a portrait or her on it. And by "I did" I mean my father, who is artistically inclined, drew it. The teacher reminded the entire class that they should be doing their own projects upon seeing my poster.

When I was in fifth grade, we had to make miniature parade floats representing an assigned state. Mine was Illinois. Everybody else used construction paper and shoe boxes. Some of the more advanced ones had paper mache. Not me. I had a wooden float with wheels, a hand-carved, wooden Abe Lincoln, three wooden boxes showing the state's natural resources and a holder for the states flower. All put together by my father while I stood there and watched. I might have helped paint. Maybe. I won the blue ribbon and got in the local newspaper.

Fast-forward 20-some years as I plan for my daughter's flower-themed first birthday. We are a little more than two weeks away from the party that my parents graciously agreed to have at their house. My father has added flowers to his already beautifully landscaped lawn. He keeps bringing up decoration possibilities such as wooden flower cut outs to put candles on (for ambiance?) and has even cut out 3-foot tall wooden replicas of the birthday invitation to paint.

He's not the only one. My mother is planning enough food to feed twice as many people as invited. She keeps offering to do this and that despite my telling her over and over again that they are doing more than enough. We are getting together this weekend to go over all of the plans and get the rest of the party supplies like balloons and a pinata (kidding, but there is a really cute flower pinata that I see everywhere that I really want to buy.)

People keep looking at me funny when I tell them about the plans for the party and that I am taking the entire week off before it to get prepared.

My response: It's not THAT bad. It's not like we are going to have ponies and clowns.

That I know of.

7 comments:

Wesley, Shauna, Brady, and Carly said...

what are you going to do for her graduation party and wedding to outshine her 1st b-day party?! (j/k!) this sounds like an amazing party, and she will love (when she's older) that you put so much effort into her events :) you are so lucky that your parents are so involved in her life...I envy you!

Hillary said...

You are nuts. I love you, but you're nuts.

mc298898 said...

All I can say (without being rude) is wow.

Gerbicks said...

okay, first birthday parties are totally worth it (for the parent!). amelia will be 1 in late august & we are having a big party for her at a nearby park. the theme is butterflies! she will be a butterfly (w/ wings & a tutu). parties are important; i say go overboard if you want to!

Hillary M said...

Adults like to hit pinatas too! Seriously, just watch them try to resist taking a baseball bat and beating the daylights out of a cardboard flower. :) It's more fun if you can arrange to blindfold them and move the pinata up and down while they try to swing though. It sounds like she's going to have a fabulous 1st birthday! Just make sure to take lots of pictures and video for her to look back on.

Michelle said...

Oh I LOVE the idea of a butterfly theme. I bet she will be precious in wings and a tutu!

samuraistrong said...

My dad was also the doer of projects. I can't lay any claim to the A I earned in project physics my senior year of high school. I'd just come home with the project objective and by the end of the weekend I had contraptions with machine parts (an electronic eye, anyone?) that set my projects heads and shoulders beyond anything the other kids brought in.

i can only imagine what it will be like when our little one arrives. ;)