But just like those puny problems, small successes -- when I remember to notice them -- can have a major effect on my attitude and on the entire mood of the family. Tonight, I noticed.
- The husband and I fixed dinner in peace because I remembered to feed The Lad early and because we're encouraging The Boy's independence by letting him play outside alone.
- The Boy ate an entire serving of asparagus because I called them swords and let him eat them with his hands.
- We practiced colors and counting with a handful of M&Ms. Bribed with chocolate, The Boy knows his colors perfectly.
- A game of flashlight tag in the backyard, which devolved into races while holding flashlights, distracted The Boy from wanting to watch cartoons.
- But allowing him to watch cartoons later saved my voice, which is shot from yet another cold and couldn't take reading half a dozen books.
Tiny things, but they added up to a truly pleasant evening. I felt like a really competent momma. (And the husband is a pretty competent daddyman: His bouncing on the exercise ball is staving off Lad cries as I type.)
What little triumphs have you had lately?