Monday, July 12, 2010

Therapy bills

Did I mention we tried to celebrate Fourth of July last weekend with a trip the fireworks? It didn’t go well and the experience seems to be haunting us.

The husband decided at the last minute that we should go to the local fireworks. Peanut had a late nap thanks to a birthday party earlier in the day so she was wide awake at 9:30 p.m. We grabbed a blanket, a citronella candle and hopped in the car, hoping we’d still be able to find a place to park and sit for the 10 p.m. show.

Thankfully, we found a great parking spot and seats with no problem just before the fireworks.

The first ones were green but not too loud. Peanut was enthralled. Then, they got louder and she was over it. “Don’t like it. Don’t like it. Go home and see Gabbles (the cat)” she whined and tried to climb in my lap. We thought she’d get used it so we told her it was all right. I even gave her a paci. It was not all right and she wanted to go home three minutes into the show.

Fast forward to Sunday night. We had thunderstorm after thunderstorm roll into the area. All night long. Peanut was fretful through it call even in her sleep. We took turns trying to calm her but it was of no use. It was so bad, I feared she wasn’t feeling well or maybe her 2-year molars were breaking through.

However, Monday morning she told me what was wrong. “I cried. Fireworks scare me. Go BOOM!” She told me over and over again when I asked why she was sad.

So a family outing has now emotionally scarred my child.

I’m putting money away for our future therapy bills.

What have you done to scar your child?

2 comments:

Snoopyfan said...

We did the same thing to my oldest. It took a good 2 and a half years before she was excited about fireworks/not scared of storms. We did not make the same mistake with her little brother, although, I think he could handle it.

The good news is she is not scarred for life, just a little while. :)

d e v a n said...

Ah, she might like them better next year (or in a couple.)