Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Toddler theology

The boys go to a Baptist daycare. Our old daycare was evangelical Presbyterian.

I am Vaguely Spiritual. The husband is Cynical Lapsed Catholic. We don't go to church, but we both believe in a god and, like my parents did, I think the boys should be exposed to all religions. Though we didn't choose our daycare because of its religious affiliation, I consider it a perk. I like that the boys are getting some sort of religious teaching.

It also makes for great dinner conversation.

They must increase the amount of Bible time in the 3-year-old room because The Boy has come home every other night singing about God Our Father or Jesus or A-a-men! He was singing, "Jesus love me, this I know, Bible tells me so," over and over and over again the other night, including at the supper table, where singing is not allowed. No singing, we said.

"But I just singing Jesus Loves Me."

"Well, no singing at supper. But we can talk about it. Who's Jesus anyway?" I asked.

"Ummm, I don't know."

"How do you know he loves you?"

"..."

"Who's Jesus?"

"He just Jesus. Jesus Loves Me." He said it like it was Jesus' full name.

"Oh, so, what does Jesus do?"

"Um, he loves me. And he, he, he hops on one foot."

"Really. What else does Jesus do?"

"He Bible thumps."

"What?!"

"He Bible (mumble mumble). He's the Bible baby."

He also informed us that Jesus has brown hair and a smooth face, no beard.

4 comments:

k said...

Bwahaha!

We have struggled to teach the story of David and Goliath. How does a parent even go there with a story about being brave but also making sure one's toddler doesn't start chucking rocks at everyone? A conundrum.

d e v a n said...

heh - too cute!

maggie said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE Jesus Loves Me as his full name. LOVE IT!

Gerbicks said...

this is hilarious! bible thumps, etc. it's so funny what they come away with or learn. & oh my, jesus loves me is nearly always being sung in our house. i mean, i don't hate the song but...