Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My choice

I've officially scheduled another C-section. I am not going to attempt a VBAC.

I know some people might not agree with this but this is what it comes down to for me: it is my choice.

It was not something I arrived at lightly. I researched. I agonized. I talked it out with my husband, my family, my friends, my doctor. I researched some more.

With Peanut, it took me awhile to come to terms with her birth. I think what really bothered me was that I didn't feel I had a choice in the matter. In the end, I got a beautiful, healthy little girl, who continues to grow and thrive every day. And that's what really matters to me.

This time I want to be the one to make the choice. I know what I am getting into. I am familiar with the process and while surprises could still happen, I know what to expect for the most part. The thought of a failed VBAC, going through labor for hours and hours again only to result in another C-section is not something I am prepared to deal with.

So instead, I'm going in for the C-section Dec. 29 and hope that Madeline Sarah will be just as healthy as her big sister and just as sweet.

I know that my decision is right for me but not necessarily for everyone else. I had a lot of encouragement from many of you when I was contemplating the VBAC. But I believe I am doing the right thing for me and for Madeline.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

12/29 is a great day to be born - it is my husband's birthday! :)

Hoping that all goes smoothly on Miss M's birthday! :)

Sarah said...

Good for you, Michelle! I totally understand and I probably would have made the same decision if I had the option. We'll be scheduling mine soon as well. The second time around I am not as stressed about it. Miss M and Emery are lucky to have you as a mom!

Two Braids said...

That's the right choice...YOUR choice! Looking forward to December 29!

Sarah said...

I'm really happy for you that you got to decide on your own terms this time. There are risks and benefits no matter what route you go, and at least this way you can be prepared and calm, which will probably give you a better experience overall.
Can't wait till December 29th! What a fun after Christmas present!

d e v a n said...

YAY for a birth day!! How exciting!

clueless but hopeful mama said...

"I think what really bothered me was that I didn't feel I had a choice in the matter."

It is YOUR choice. Kudos to you for taking time to make a conscious decision.

(YAY for birthday!)

Erica said...

People get so worked up about this stuff. I say do what works for you and don't look back. My mom had 2 c-sections and everything was absolutely great with both my sister and I.

k said...

December 29! Holla!

(Am glad you feel comfortable with your choice. Also, on the Creepy Pete scale--how creepy would it be to write on my calendar "Michelle's c-section" given that we've never met?)

Danielle said...

That's my husband's birthday, too!

I came to this same decision after much researching and agonizing. It was right for me and the now 1-month-old in my arms, and I am sure it will be right for you, too.

Like you said, the fact that it was MY decision (which I didn't totally feel last time) made all the difference. My recovery was better, nursing is better, and I am all around happier.

Here's wishing the same to you!