Monday, January 3, 2011

Adjusting

We are all getting used to the new baby here. She's quite a pleasant baby, who only cries when she is hungry and sleeps most of the time. The only issue we've had so far is getting her to sleep in her crib at night. She seems to prefer the pack-n-play, which if she is sleeping at night, I'm fine with that. She does sleep better by herself during the day and needs a little holding at night, but the doctor said she should have her days and nights figured out soon.

Peanut luuuuuurves her baby sister. Loves her. Wants to hold her, see her, know why she is crying. The other day we were upstairs when the baby started crying downstairs. Peanut hopped up and said, "It's OK, Baby Maddie, I'm coming. Don't cry. Shhhhhh, shhhh. It's OK, I'm coming." It was priceless.

While we have no issues with how Peanut is behaving toward her little sister, we are having some issues with her behavior overall. She's extra whiny and prone to throw epic fits in no time flat. She tells us she wants one thing and when we give it to her, she throws a fit saying she doesn't want it but wants something else. When we give that to her, she reverts to wanting the first thing. It can be frustrating at times.

We are trying to keep her on a semi-normal schedule for now and spend alone time with her as well as incorporating her with the baby's activities. Some days are better than others. I admit, with sleeping no more than two hours at a time, my reactions to Peanut have not always been what you would describe as patient so I'm trying to work on that too and remember that she's only a toddler. Her world has been changed dramatically too. It's not always easy though.

How did you cope with the older sibling's reaction to the new baby?

3 comments:

k said...

You know, I had a really hard time (and still sometimes do) separating what Ezra's behavior might normally be (exceptionally pleasant and fun with a hearty dash of WHINE) and what I thought it was because Iris came home.

This isn't to say that I don't think it affected him--because how could it not have, right?--but I'm wondering now if perhaps I was just more sensitive to his moods and perhaps attributed more of his Raging Toddler Business to Iris' arrival than was necessary.

Who the hell knows?--the little guys can be so bipolar (and precious).

Eve said...

I have only one child, a 2-year-old, and to K's point, I can say that he's alternately whiney-as-hell and cuter-than-all-getout. So, yes, I think a lot of it exists independent of a new sibling. Hope that eases at least a microgram of Mommy guilt!

d e v a n said...

We had the same experiences each time we've brought a baby home. The older sibling(s) reacted well to the baby and showed much affection, but took out their frustration on me and daddy!

What we did was try to spend alone time with them, and sometimes made the baby wait, "Just a minute baby, sibling needs a drink." So they knew that the baby doesn't ALWAYS come first.
We also had them help. Could you throw this diaper in the trash for me? What a good helper/big brother! etc.
And, we tried to just stay with our normal rules and routines as much as possible.