Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sleep training


Just when Gizmo starts sleeping better, Peanut has decided to not sleep.

Pardon me while I take a sip of my minimal coffee and yawn.

The baby is sleeping for at least four hours at a time, finishes nursing and is back to sleep within 15 minutes. After nursing every two hours with each session lasting an hour, this seems like heaven.

However, Peanut is not sleeping so well. She is getting up anywhere between 4 and 6 a.m. and crawling into bed with us. Sometimes she falls back asleep. But most of then time she stays awake, kicking us, playing with my hair and switching her six pacifiers in and out of her mouth (just imagine the sound of a pacifier being sucked out of a little mouth and another one being shoved in every two minutes and you'll understand why my eye is twitching.)

We try putting her back to bed after awhile but that requires one of us staying with her unless we risk a 5 a.m. fit, which is sure to be loud enough to wake the neighbors not to mention the baby.

This from a child who had to be pulled from her bed sometimes as late as 9 a.m. three months ago.

The sleeplessness isn't just a morning a problem. When she lacks hours of necessary sleep, Peanut is prone to fits of epic proportions for which I have no patience mainly because of my own lack of shut eye. Right now she's crying because we don't have anything to make chocolate chip cookies. Earlier she wailed because she fell over, barely bumping her knee.

The husband and I talked last night and wondered if we should start putting her to bed earlier to make up for the lost sleep. This would require pushing up nap time since she doesn't wake up from her nap some days until 5 p.m.
And this last part isn't always possible because of various schedules.

He also suggested a child proof door knob so that she can't get out of her room. I fear that will trigger a screaming fit plus the paranoid side of me worries about an emergency in which she needs to get out of her room but can't.

I am also looking at those kid clocks that change colors or glow when it it is time to wake up. Anyone have any luck with these?

Who knew getting a kid to sleep would require as much planning as a special operations mission.

7 comments:

Hillary said...

The clock thing helps. We just used a regular old alarm clock and told The Boy that he wasn't allowed out of bed until he saw the 6. An earlier bedtime helps my kids, too, but they also take naps right after lunch, usually going down no later than 12:30.

Good luck.

Snoopyfan said...

Before my daughter could tell time, she was a super early riser. We put a regular night light on a digital timer and told her it was not time to get up until the night light turned on. It worked like a charm for her and now we do the same with her 4 year old brother.

She can now tell time and she is not allowed to get up before 6:30 unless she has to use the bathroom.

Good luck!

k said...

I'm excited to read about those nightlights and how they're working for people as we're thinking of busting one out once we employ Operation Big Boy Bed (no timeline for starting, but I need stuff in my arsenal).

How happy am I that Peanut loves her pacis? HOW ABOUT A LOT! Ezra loves his so, so much and I don't want to take them away. I figure he doesn't yet have teeth coming out of his nose, so why bother.

d e v a n said...

we have one that changes colors. The night light is yellow and you set it to turn green at a time of your choosing. Our 2.5 year old now knows he can get up when the light is green. If he stays in bed until then he gets a treat. Yes. He gets CANDY at 6AM but I don't care because I don't have to get up at 5 anymore.

I got it on Amazon. I think it's called a Teach Me Time or something like that.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

We have the same clock at Devan for Zoe. IT ROCKS. We fussed too much about what each number looked like (But MOM! I thought that was a NINE not a SIX!) on her regular clock so the Teach Me Time clock was a godsend.

(I should really get paid for saying that.)

Erica said...

Yeah I'm in the yellow/green clock club. We just got it about a week ago and I think it's helping. Anna just got croup this morning and was up early but I don't think that counts. She's only 18 months but I think she gets it. I talk a lot about "hey! the clock is yellow, time to sleep" and "mommy will be back when the clock turns green." I think it's worth a shot.

Eve said...

We had lots of 4:30-5 a.m. wakeup calls when H was younger. Then we got the "Good Nite Lite," and -- brace yourself for infomercial -- it has changed our lives.
We don't hear a peep from him until 6:45, the time when we set the "sun" to come up. Best $35 I ever spent.
http://www.goodnitelite.com/