Sunday, July 10, 2011

Crafty part 1

I had planned to show you how the husband and my dad did an amazing job putting together a swing set for the girls in the back yard followed by photos of the girls with looks of pure joy on their faces as they played on the swings, slide, climbing wall and in the sandbox.

However, apparently when the deliver company on Friday said they would deliver it tomorrow, they had a different tomorrow than Saturday in mind.

Boo. (We still don't know where the swing set is.)

Then I planned to tell you that Hillary and I had a great time out our friend's wedding Saturday night but that is kind of a one fact post (except for the drunk chick who fell in the fountain. No, it wasn't either one of us.)

We are all a bit older, a bit more gray, but it felt like those at our table had never left happy hour even though we haven't seen each other in years.

Here is a picture of us having a great time:




Hey look. We are both looking at the camera and not wrangling kids who refuse to cooperate.

All of that was a very long way to tell you that in this post, I will show you my craftiness. I found two things I wanted to make for the girls on Pinterest. I'll show you one today and one tomorrow.

Here is my inspiration:


Cute, right?

I got two 12-inch styrofoam wreath forms and about 120 yards of ribbon and tulle in various colors, textures and sizes. (Keep in mind. That is for 2 wreaths.




Here is another shot.




Then I decided to cut the ribbon in about 12 inch strips.




That seemed a bit short after tying it around the form so I made them 14 inches.




Then I decided the form was too thick and I would just make my own circle to tie the ribbon on from wire. That was a 10-minute detour that ended in a dead end and I didn't even bother documenting it with a photo.

Back to the ribbon cutting.







There was a lot of ribbon to cut.

Finally, the tying. The first wreath I did was willy-nilly tying. The second, I did more of a pattern. You can't tell the difference.

So I tied.



And I tied some more.




And I tied some more until I got this:




Total time for both was about 90 minutes, not including the shopping. Each cost about $12 to make.

They are a bit, um, more wild than my inspiration but I am pleased with the results.

I am going to hang them on the girls doors as soon as I get something to hang them with.

Tomorrow, I will show you how I did the first letters of each of the girls' name with buttons on a canvas.

3 comments:

k said...

Craftypants.

Can't wait to see the buttony canvas.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Crafty!! LOVE IT!

d e v a n said...

Very cute!