Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Good enough

I was talking with my boss about a couple projects for 2012. He wants me to do them. I want to do them. He likes my ideas for them. I think we can do them.

But I'm just a little bit scared.

I don't like to do anything if it's not going to be right the first time. These projects, while doable, are not going to be fabulous right away. Without going into detail that will bore you, it's going to take awhile to get all the things I need coming in regularly. I'm probably going to be struggling for a few weeks, maybe even a few months.

But, as I told him, if we're going to do it, we have to just start. The only way to get the things we need is to start the project and power through the rough beginning. We will get better by just doing it.

This is all starting to sound like a Nike commercial. Don't worry. I have no intention of taking up shredding or crossfitting or whatever. Physically, I plan to remain as much of a slug as ever.

But it is good advice. Sometimes I surprise myself. I'll be in a meeting, talking, and think, "Hey! I sound pretty smart!" -- only I had no idea until that very second what was going to come out of my mouth. Does that ever happen to you guys? That's pretty much what happened to me today, and it occurred to me that maybe I should take my own advice outside of work, too.

I've got two bright yellow vintage lamps I bought at a second-hand boutique because they made me happy, but they needed shades. I've been waiting for the PERFECT shades to go on sale at Anthropologie --- only they're never going to go below $60 and that's just silly. I've been thinking I could make shades, but putting it off because what if I mess up? Well, really, what if? I've decided this weekend I'm going to Michael's and Home Depot and get crafty with a little Pinterest inspiration.

I also have a table and chairs I want to paint for the boys' playroom, which we're going to create once The Lad is out of the crib. I've been putting it off because one of the chairs needs to be sanded and what if I don't sand it properly, I've never done it before, and ... is that not ridiculous? But this is how my mind works. I need to let it go. I sincerely doubt the boys are going to care if the finish on a chair is a little bumpy, and that's assuming I can't manage to figure out how to work sandpaper.

It's the same thing with parenting. Almost every time I get all riled up about discipline or bedtime or whatever, the problem boils down to my trying to be a perfect parent, which does not exist. Really, I just need to be a good enough parent -- good enough to make happy, healthy, not entirely bratty kids.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Yeah! Power to the people! Love it!

Two Braids said...

I have been ADDICTED to the blog "Smile with your Heart." She id so insightful. I thought of this post when I read your post. Check it out! http://smilewithyourheart.com/2011/07/12/day-2-if-it-scares-you-go-after-it/

Good luck with your new assignments! Just put one foot in front of the other and start doing:0

Hermit said...

Lordy Hillary, I swear you and I are connected at the brain! Keep writing so I can keep nodding and yelling "Heck Yes!" to my computer screen.