Thursday, August 18, 2011

PSA: Don't fix anything

I read somewhere once that if you upgrade one appliance in your kitchen -- even just the lowly toaster oven, say -- you are more likely to end up renovating the whole room. The one nice, shiny new item makes everything else looks shabby and pretty soon you're replacing all the major appliances just for something shinier and looking into square footage costs on granite counter tops.

There's some truth to that.

We're getting new windows installed. Our old windows were original to the 30-year-old house; they needed to be replaced. When we got the estimate, the handyman company doing the installation also gave us an estimate to paint the whole house. No, we said. We'll wait another year. The paint is faded, but it wasn't until the new windows -- shiny, new windows sparkling in the sun and rimmed in perfectly white sills -- were installed that I thought it looked dirty.

The husband just emailed the handyman. We're getting the house painted, too. It's not a huge extra expense, but still, it would have been cheaper to keep living with windows that needed to be propped open.

Between those new windows and Pinterest, I'm itchy to rearrange and paint. I want to get the boys into a shared bedroom and paint our front door. The husband just sighs heavily whenever I mention this stuff.

What projects are you thinking about these days?

7 comments:

Eve said...

Funny you should post this. Just today, I got new nightstands in our master bedroom. They look great, but they only remind me that I want a new dresser so I can move ours to the kid's room. Oh yeah, and I'm pining (so to speak) for new floors throughout most of the house. Lord knows what that would lead to.

Jessica said...

I guess it's a good thing our house's previous owners replaced the windows a few years before we bought it.

I'd love to get a new dresser for our bedroom and paint it (the bedroom), but we're not very motivated right now since we have a new baby and all...

Erin said...

Heavens ... way too much. We're supposed to have an open house in two weeks and to do that we need to replace a doorknob, trim the bushes, put a giant tarp over our lawn so no one notices the grass that doesn't grow there (we had massive trees removed a while back, and I'm not really going to put a tarp over the lawn, but the grass coverage is spotty/dead because of the tree removal). Sweep the deck, pull/kill the grass out of the driveway cracks, reorganize the garage so I can access both doors of my backseat, kill the mouse that is living in our garage/eating food in our pantry, kill the flies that keep showing up (I killed 20 in one day), figure out why our dishwasher STILL STINKS no matter how much bleach I run through it. I think the dishwasher stink and the flies are related. It's got a really long hose and food gets stuck in it I think, but then sometimes I think there's something rotting under our house in the crawlspace. I can't be sure and I just want it to hurry up and decompose so the flies will go away. Seriously. 20 flies. Eight at 5:30 a.m. and the remaning files after I came home from work. NO ONE opened any doors in that time period!!!

Feel better yet? Strangely, I do. Did I mention my wonderful husband is many things, but he is NOT a house cleaner? And that no one is looking at our house anyway, so we'll (I'll) do all this work only to have no one show up at the open house?

I hope your new paint job is perfect! :)

Lisa said...

Oh yes, I am always agonizing about home improvements. My top desires right now would be having a yard with actual grass (not dirt and weeds!), a real paved/concrete-type driveway, a porch with non-holey screens, a new pool deck and refinished pool, and landscaping/a useable backyard! Sigh.

~she~ said...

We do the same thing! We got a new roof put on due to storm damage. Now it looks so new that my siding looks shabby. We've already gotten an estimate to reside the house. Last summer, we got new patio furniture. Now we want a gorgeous new patio to sit on! We want the swirly brick design with the little waterfall and built-in grill. Yeah right! At least painting a room isn't too costly. You need to stick with that. :)

k said...

Our garage door crapped out and some electrical in our kitchen also crapped out. One is less expensive to fix than the other, but I really just want to avoid both.

Fixing shit sucks.

Gerbicks said...

oh, we have so many projects going on (painting doors, finishing up trim from the new floors, etc)...but i agree, it does seem to compound. i know our ugly tile looks even more hideous after putting new wood floors next to it...