Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas prep bits

Despite the Biblical-style rain that put a damper on this weekend and the fact that every single being in my house -- including the dog and cat -- has had some sort of stomach illness over the course of the last two weeks, Christmas has arrived at our home. The tree is up and decorated (with only unbreakable ornaments in case the dog or the toddler or the showing off Boy pull it down), the first set of cookies has been made and a few presents have been wrapped. Now I just have to find the time to finish shopping for the husband.

---

I made peanut butter fudge for the first time this year. Thank goodness I listened when Mom told me to stand by the stove and keep watch on the sugar and evaporated milk that has to be boiled. It didn't boil and didn't boil and then, without warning, it was foaming up and nearly out of the very large pot. Even standing right there stirring it, it was a near miss to having a wave of molten sugar all over my stove.

---

Cookie Day was just me and the boys this year. I kind of missed having the camaraderie of another mother in the kitchen, however, there was limited fighting over space at the counter, so it all worked out. At one point, The Lad was eating fistfuls of straight sugar. The Boy stuck a heaped spoon of frosting in his mouth. (And yes, I made both go wash up before we proceeded. I'm not risking any more illness.)

---

The husband is running a marathon this weekend. When we return, my in-laws will have arrived for their three-week Christmas visit. (They rent a condo, but are at our house everyday.) And this year, my mom is staying with us for a week at Christmas, too. So really, this is my week to get everything done in preparation for the holiday. Wish me luck.

---

How are your holidays shaping up? 

7 comments:

d e v a n said...

Ready or not, here it comes! :) Have fun!

Jessica said...

Wow. Three weeks. Good luck!

HereWeGoAJen said...

So far, our holidays are appearing to be company free- so I'll just leave it at that for how they are shaping up so far. ;)

~she~ said...

I've still got a lot to do. But I'm really looking forward to my cookie day!

k said...

Eff. THREE WEEKS?!

Our plans are going smoothly and quietly which I am enjoying immensely.

Mama Bub said...

Can you post a link to the fudge recipe that you used? I would love to try peanut butter fudge this year.

Anonymous said...

The In-Laws rent a beach condo for three weeks? That's gotta be expensive for retirees. Those are some loving grandparents.