Thursday, January 26, 2012

Funkitified

I'm feeling funky and not in the get down with yo bad self sort of way.

I wrote a whole post complaining about all my first world problems and by the time I got done rereading it, I was annoyed with myself for being so annoyed. I'm really, really, really trying to keep a calm, Zen-like attitude about things. (See communicating with love). That's not to say I don't enjoy a good bitch session every once in awhile (um, this entire week) but at some point, I have to let it go and enjoy the good things.

Look at me. I'm growing.

So. On to things that are making me happy:

My husband. He stayed home with Gizmo today, who spiked a fever yesterday (I'm guessing vaccine reaction). He is such an involved father. I don't think I could have found anyone more compatible to spend the rest of my life with. Sure we snipe. Sure we argue. But really, he is amazing. I need to tell him that more.

The preschool teacher who knows I broke my foot and walked Peanut into school this morning so I wouldn't have to get out of the car in the rain.

Peanut who asked me if the tampons I had in my hand were popsicles this week. No, seriously. The husband had to walk out of the room he was laughing so hard. I told her no, they were something special for mommy and hauled biscuits out of the house to avoid more questions that I couldn't answer.

Gizmo because even though I know she doesn't feel well, she is trying to be perky. The husband said she was dancing this morning. And even though I'm sad she is sick, it feels so good to snuggle with her since she normally won't hold still long enough.

Roald Dahl. You know, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The BFG, Witches, etc. I was trying to find longer books to read to Peanut at night and Hillary reminded me of Roald Dahl. He was my favorite author as a kid and I can't wait to pull out my old books and read to her.

Changes at work. I am normally a don't-move-my-cheese kind of gal but I am really excited about the changes coming at work. I'm getting new responsibilities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a journalist.

A co-worker who inspired the whole Zen-like attitude. He is a patient, patient man who has taught me a lot. When I am at my most frustrated, he reminds me about my goal to stay calm and makes me laugh. It's so good to have a quality mentor.

What's making you happy?

3 comments:

Mrs. Irritation said...

This post is making me happy for one thing. I developed a serious case of the Crabbies this afternoon (First World Problems, no big deal) and it's great to have perspective that aside from drowning in all this damn rain, things are NOT all that bad.

Hope next week is better for you!!

Cupcake Mama said...

I'm crabby too which is crazy as Ella has been discussing a crab non stop that is "in her room." Strangeness. I made zucchini carrot muffins that she ate, it made me feel accomplished and not like an awful parent.

k said...

It is Friday and instead of working my usual 1pm-9pm, I am working 9am-5pm. I feel like having a freaking party it's so great.

And Ezra is always inquiring about my tampons too. How does one even explain all that to a three year old? I got nuthin'.