Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Randomness

Downton Abbey ate up most of the husband's and my evenings the last two weeks. I want to be the Dowager Countess -- or perhaps Lady Mary. And now I'm sad I have to wait a year before it's back on. I haven't felt that bereft after a television show's season ending since the last episode of Sons of Anarchy.

What should we be watching now?

----

I remain in a reading funk. I'm reading, but none of it is very good. Unlike Michelle, I don't think YA fiction is my cup of tea any more. I will always love my old favorites -- in fact, the reading funk has gotten bad enough to make me think about rereading L.M. Montgomery -- but new YA stuff just makes me feel old. I find myself identifying with the parents or wanting to give the main characters stern lectures about not being a twit (see: Looking for Alaska).

Any suggestions? Good nonfiction? Adult literature that is neither too trashy nor too serious?

----

I wear black heels at least once a week to work. My last pair were at least two years old, scuffed and with the heels wore down to the pins. I spent three months thinking, "Damn, I need new shoes," every time I put them on before finally throwing them in the trash to force myself to buy a new pair. I went out this weekend to do that and came home with this pair from Aldo --- and three new shirts, a bright pink shirt dress, a pair of skinny jeans and a pair of purple cropped jeans (on sale for $7). I'm thinking of going back and buying a pair of flat brown riding boots.

I don't shop often, but when I do, I binge.

----

What randomness is keeping you busy?

7 comments:

d e v a n said...

cute shoes!

Jessica said...

I'm also not a YA person.

I've been saving the last episode of Downton. I started it Sunday, then remembered the Oscars were on, so I have 1 hour left.

Erica said...

In case you are the last person who hasn't read it... Hunger games trilogy! I just finished it and heart it big time. Do you have kindle btw? I heard you can loan books on it. I also have the unbelievably loud and close book or whatever it's called. So good. Happy to lend any of my kindle books!

Erica said...

Also... Purple cropped jeans... Jealoussssss....

Elsha said...

Book recommendations for adult fiction: The Help, The Paris Wife, Rules of Civility. Also, the Stephen King novel 11/23/63. It's not traditional Stephen King horror. I like YA stuff, but I can't just read that or I get all burned out on it.

Cupcake Mama said...

OMG--I love love Downton Abbey so much!! The ending was amazing. I am currently reading the Night Circus and am really enjoying it.

Erin said...

I don't think I can recommend any books to you, because I steal your ideas and you read much more than I do. If you're in the mood to re-read a classic, go with Fahrenheit 451. It's surprisingly relevant to our culture today. I also read 11/23/63 and enjoyed it very much. I told Joe it's more of a love story than anything else (he disagrees).

Anyway, as far as TV, here are what Joe and I liked recently:
Shameless (Showtime. We bought it on iTunes)
Justified (A hot Timothy Olyphant)
And we just started HBO's Boardwalk Empire. So far, it's interesting.