Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Even more personal growth

I "showered" this morning using a stock pot full of water heated up on the stove. And I didn't cry about it. In fact, I was pretty proud of my ingenuity (if you can call something that people did for hundreds of years clever.)

But let me back up.

This weekend, the husband and I went to Chicago to see Justin Timberlake - a Christmas present that Luke got me after we missed JT in Columbus (because it was Luke's birthday and he didn't want to go and I may have pouted a little especially when my Facebook and Twitter feed BLEW UP with JT that night. Moving on...)

So, it was a great weekend. We dropped the girls off with my parents and drove 5+ hours up to Chicago, Luke driving, me reading, both of us enjoying our time together. We stayed at a great hotel with a great view. Had drinks together and then went to dinner with Sara (she's so awesome and I just wish I could see her more.)

Luke and I then went to see Justin Timberlake. If you have the chance to see him in concert, please do. He really puts on a great, great show. The dancing, the songs, him. Sigh. Good stuff, people.

Monday morning, we woke up and beat feet out of Chicago before the snow hit. All the way back to Ohio, we were just ahead of the snow/ice moving in. We felt like someone was watching out for us since we got home about an hour before ice started falling from the sky making the roads fairly treacherous.

And then Luke and the girls when to the basement to play where they were greeted with soaking wet carpet. Everywhere.

Emery came back up and told me she thought an animal had broken into our house and peed in the basement. Thankfully, it wasn't that but our water heater had busted and leaked, covering about 75% of our basement with water.

The good news is this: most of our stuff in storage was in plastic containers. The stuff that got thrown out (some stuffed animals from the girls' toy room among other things) probably needed to go anyway, giving me a jump start to cleaning up the toy room.

The other good news: I didn't freak out. Like somehow I turned into a real-life grown-up and just started cleaning up with cursing and tears. The husband and I calmly worked to get up as much water up as we could (after throwing an iPad at the girls and telling them to stay upstairs.)

At one point, as I was on my hands and knees soaking up water with a towel and Luke was using the shop vac. I looked up at him and we both just started laughing hysterically. Because what else are you going to do? (In times like this, I always go back to Hillary's mom's saying of laugh, cry, puke.)


Apparently it was a weekend of personal growth for both Hillary and me.
So that is how I found myself showering using a stock pot full of stove-heated water this morning. (I did try to mind over matter myself into taking a cold shower but the minute that freezing water touched me, I knew it was not going to work at all.)

And best of all, a new water heater is being installed today so no more roughing it for me.

5 comments:

Erin G said...

Oh man. You are being SO HEALTHY about all this. I mean, I guess a toy purge is a good thing and I am glad you are getting a new water heater. How are the floors? New carpet coming sometime I assume? GAH. WHAT A MESS.

k said...

It's like you're a new woman.

maggie said...

oh no oh no oh no what a NIGHTMARE. I would die. And I would be sobbing the entire time. Go you. (also, is it worth it to see JT without his fellow boy banders? I have doubts.)

maggie said...

oh no oh no oh no what a NIGHTMARE. I would die. And I would be sobbing the entire time. Go you. (also, is it worth it to see JT without his fellow boy banders? I have doubts.)

maggie said...

oh no oh no oh no what a NIGHTMARE. I would die. And I would be sobbing the entire time. Go you. (also, is it worth it to see JT without his fellow boy banders? I have doubts.)