Thursday, February 13, 2014

My life

I lead a fairly normal suburban, working parent life. Wake up, get ready, get the kids ready, get them to school, work all day, come home, help with homework/have family time, put kids to bed, read/watch tv, ignore house work, go to bed. Rinse. Repeat.

But last week was a little different. I spent about 72 hours in Washington D.C., one of my favorite places ever.* This year I'm taking on more responsibility at work, including overseeing two reporters we have in D.C. (They are both pretty amazing so it's not really work at all.) I went to hang out with them, see what they do, how things work, etc.

Something about me: I still can't believe I'm an adult many days. Like, who gave me responsibility for kids, a house, a job? Wasn't I just talking Hillary into drinking on a Sunday night when we should have been studying? When I actually have to act like a grown-up i.e. go on a work trip, it is a weird feeling.

While I was there, I walked around the Capitol, sat in the front row of a John Boehner press conference and just enjoyed the bustle of D.C. (Oh AND had dinner with Jenna. I adore that lady.)

While I sat there watching the House Speaker talk, surrounded by journalists whose bylines I read every day in national publications, I kept thinking, tomorrow I will be back home, dropping the kids off at school.

And I was completely fine with that. There was a time in my life that I really wanted to be in D.C. working but while it was fun while I was there, I was ready to come home.

I love my little suburban life. I'm happy with where we are and what we've accomplished. I feel like I've spent the past 12 years pushing for the next big thing. It's good to have goals (and I still have some) for now, I'm enjoying what I have.

* Hillary and I interned together in Washington the summer after I graduated from college. Her now husband had a job at the same place where we were interns. It was one of my most favorite summers ever. It was the first time that I was really out on my own and in one of the coolest cities too. We saw Maroon 5 at a free concert on the steps of the Smithsonian. I sat on the Capitol steps and watched a Fourth of July show/fireworks (this was the summer after 9-11 so it was especially moving.) We got cheap wine at the corner market and drank it in my tiny efficiency apartment and would sneak into the gorgeous hotel next door to lay by the pool. Good, good times.

3 comments:

k said...

Let's talk about John Boehner's skin for a hot minute: how tan is he really?

Erica said...

I am so happy for you.

Erin G said...

Oh I love this. You really do have a cool blend of working and important, yet everyday awesome. Makes me feel happy for you!

I LOVE dc, too, incidentally. Sounds like you and Hillary had a cool intern time there, I am kind of jealous!